Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Gratitude Sunday - Thanksgiving Weekend

A heavy rainstorm a few days before Thanksgiving damaged the phone wiring coming into our home and resulted in the loss of phone and Internet service until this afternoon, when the repairman finally showed up to fix the problem.  We are back on line and counting the blessings of a good Thanksgiving weekend.

We had a 25 pound turkey and got up at 4 a.m. to get it in the oven.  We like to eat our big Thanksgiving dinner right about noon.  Charly is the main chef of our Thanksgiving meal.  He baked pumpkin and pecan pies, made the stuffing the night before and kept the turkey basted every twenty minutes while it cooked (and I went back to bed).  He also made the gravy.  I helped with the easy stuff like the mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. 

Having an abundance of good food and a husband who enjoys preparing the feast is truly something to be grateful for as this Thanksgiving weekend ends.  


Josh got up early and watched movies with his dad while the turkey cooked.  I am grateful I had these two guys to spend Thanksgiving with! 

The meal was excellent and I am grateful for all of the yummy leftovers we have been enjoying all weekend. Tonight, Charly is making a turkey casserole for dinner tomorrow!  I'm also grateful that we had company over for dinner last night and we got a couple of take-n-bake pizzas for our meal.  Man does not live by turkey alone - even on Thanksgiving weekend.

Of course, with all that good food, some good walks were needed to work off those Thanksgiving calories. This was the gorgeous sunset we saw during one of our evening walks over the weekend.   I am always grateful for sunsets like this one!

With the turkey carved, and the leftovers put away, we moved on into the Christmas season at our home. Last year, we decided to downsize and simplify our Christmas decorations so that decorating didn't become such a chore.   We now have this little four-foot tree on a table in the living room (so I don't have to move any furniture and rearrange the room).  It is easy to assemble and can be decorated in less than an hour.  

 These two smaller trees add a bit of holiday warmth to our entry way. 

My goal is to make our Christmas less about decorations and gifts and more about the real reason for the season - the birth of Christ.  I am so thankful that I believe in Jesus Christ and His infinite love and goodness.

These two simple nativities that sit at the base of our little tree, help us keep things in focus.  

Decorations are up, gifts are mostly purchased, and most of those going out of state are wrapped, boxed and mailed away.  Most of our Christmas cards are also on the way to friends and family.  It's amazing what can be accomplished in a few days without the distractions of the Internet!  I am grateful that I had some time this past long weekend to be with family and enjoy some good food and memorable moments.  I am grateful that we had the financial means to buy gifts for each other.  I am also so very grateful for the friends and loved ones we stay in touch with by sending Christmas greetings each year.  I am grateful for a home to make cheerful with Christmas decorations.  Above all of these things, however, I am grateful for the joy of the birth of Christ, and that I was raised to believe in, love and rely on His tender mercies day by day.  

Have a wonderful first week of December!










Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar