Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Storybook Land, October 5 1984

We're continuing our look at photos taken by Lou Perry, of "Lou and Sue" fame! This is from his 1984 trip to the park, where he used many rolls of film to document every aspect of  the park (over the period of at least two days). Today's examples feature the Storybook Land area.

I'm guessing that Lou was using a telephoto lens from a Skyway bucket to get this shot of a Casey Jr. train as it loaded up with a fresh supply of guests. Funky fresh! The people crammed into those tiny cars now know what it feels like to be animal crackers in the box.


The patchwork blanket landscape of Storybook Land is made up of tiny fruit orchards (with BB-sized oranges!), baby-broccoli, micro-mushrooms, and compact cabbage. This is where baby corn comes from, but it's not alliterative. 


How do we know we're not in Tabloid Town? Because of that big floral sign, silly! 


At the bottom of the sign, two giant red sharks swim in opposite directions because they're mad at each other. Red sharks are even scarier than white sharks. I like being able to peek over the snowy Alps into the attraction - I think that's the Practical Pig's home of bricks on the hilltop?  


I've always loved the little train depot and ticket booth at the beginning of the Casey Jr. ride; in 1954, Disney produced a cartoon called "Pigs Is Pigs", and the style is very similar.


See? Eyvind Earle was involved, and it has his hard-edged, graphic look to it.


Would you rather take a train to see Storybook Land? Or a boat? Well you can do both! Unlike in Russia, am I right? Those folks are pointing with one finger, but I'll try to forgive them.


And finally, no trip to Storybook Land would be complete without a look at Monstro's teeth. 


THANK YOU, Lou and Sue!

**********************************

At TokyoMagic's suggestion, I tried to merge photo 1 and photo 5. It worked! But there was nothing to be done about the black rectangles in the corners. If I had more time I might get better results, but I'm going to be out for most of the day.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar